30 May 2012

Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream

Pardon for my tardiness in updating this blog. Hubby has been travelling frequently and it was a handful trying to juggle work and the little rascal without his help.

Anyways, back to the topic. I baked this quite some time ago, after I saw postings by a number of bloggers like The Little Teochew and Pig Pig's Corner, who raved about Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream from Magnolia Bakery. I have never tried any cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery so I decided to give the recipe a try since I have all the ingredients.

While I was going through the recipe, I was appalled by the amount of sugar added. 170g of sugar, vs only 155g of plain flour with self-raising flour! I simply didn't have the courage to add so much sugar so I halved the amount.

In the end, the cupcake turned out so-so only, a little hard and dense, no where near the "light, soft and moist" texture that they were raving about. I suspect it was due to my reduction of sugar. In baking, sugar does make an impact to the texture of the cake (in certain recipes). I should have just gone ahead with the full amount of sugar for the first attempt. Oh well.

They were still edible albeit not the texture that I preferred. For redemption, I tinted the butter cream with a tinge of red to make it pale pink. Well, at least the cupcakes looked pretty?

Ok, I shall leave you to enjoy the eye-candy. Perhaps I would attempt the cupcakes again without altering the sugar amount. Meanwhile, if you are keen in the recipe, hop over to The Little Teochew or Pig Pig's Corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment