13 December 2013

Kiymali Pide (Turkish ground beef pita) - AFF West Asia Dec 2013

Yes, another Middle Eastern dish, this time round inspired by Wendy of Table for 2... or more :)

When I saw her blog post last week, I knew I had to give it a try. All the ingredients are easily available and steps fairly straightforward as well. Knew that hubby would be adverse towards it so like the 2 previous recipes attempted for AFF West Asia (Spinach Pastry Triangle and Kafta with pomegranate molasses), I made this pide for my own lunch.

Luckily I decided to start preparing the ingredients mid morning because upon detail reading of the recipe, I realised proofing of the pita takes almost 2hrs! I had half a packet of instant dry yeast in the fridge and when I tried to bloom it, it didn't foam. Panic panic, decided to run to the supermarket near my house to buy a new box of instant yeast just to play safe.

Kneading the dough was straightforward (just mix ingredients together and knead for a few minutes), so was preparing the ingredients (same, mixing everything together only). The part where I got a bit stuck was the assembly. By the time the dough was sufficiently proofed it was already past 1pm and I was famished. In a hurry, perhaps I didn't roll the dough flat enough, or maybe I had too much stuffing (added extra onion and tomato :p), the dough wouldn't fold in properly to cover the sides of the filling. As you can see in the picture, it opened up. After I cracked the egg on top of the beef filling, the egg white started oozing to the sides :p I did my best to stuff everything properly and off the pide went into the oven.


Luckily it looked ok! What's important was the taste! I was so hungry by the time the pide was ready, I couldn't wait to devour it. Quickly sprinkled some chopped parsley, paprika and a drizzle of lemon juice, snapped a few photos and tucked in. Didn't bother to position on nice plates or place mats whatever for the photo taking. Like I said, super hungry. And boy, this pide tasted good (was it coz I was very hungry?). The crust at the sides was very crispy, the beef filling very juicy coz of the onions and tomato and overall fragrant coz of the parsley. Before I knew it, I already whacked 3/4 of the pide! It's a bit like pizza actually, without cheese. Saved the remaining for dinner; the crust had turned slightly soft but after popping it into the air fryer for a few minutes, the crust was all crispy again.


Kiymali Pide (Turkish ground beef pita)

Pide dough
  • 1/2 tsp instant yeast + 20g warm water
  • 125g plain flour
  • 20g natural yogurt
  • 20g fresh milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Beef Filling
  • 100g minced beef
  • 2 tomato, seeds removed, diced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 2 stalks of fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Black pepper to taste
Steps
  1. Dissolve yeast with water, and set aside for 5-10 mins till foamy.
  2. Combine all  the dough ingredients and knead for 3-5 minutes by hand. Slightly oil a big bowl with some olive oil and place dough inside, cover bowl with cling wrap. Leave to proof 1 hour.
  3. After 1 hr, knead the the dough for 2 mins, and let it proof for another 45 mins.
  4. While waiting for the dough to proof, combine the beef filling ingredients except the egg.
  5. Preheat oven at 180 degree celsius on fan mode.
  6. Once dough is ready, roll it into a longish oval shape, 5mm thick. Place the dough onto a piece of non stick baking paper on a dark coloured baking tray.
  7. Slightly squeeze the fillings to rid excess water and put the fillings onto the dough leaving 1 inch border. Fold the sides in and pinch the ends together. Crack the egg on top of the beef filling.
  8. Bake for 30 mins. Once done, sprinkle with some chopped parsley, paprika and lemon juice and serve warm.

Phew! Couldn't believe that I've cooked three Middle Eastern cuisine so far! Tempted to do more, but I'm travelling again soon, and after coming back, lots to cook and bake (son's childcare centre party, friend's party, hosting baking play dates etc etc). Well, will see how lah.

I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest: West Asia hosted by Shannon from Just As Delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment